Complex Commercial Litigation
Berman Litigation Group provides advice and guidance to clients to avoid litigation whenever possible. When litigation and dispute resolution are necessary, clients rely on us to get their disputes resolved.
We represent clients in arbitrations and mediation, and regularly use alternative dispute resolution techniques to resolve matters quickly. We work with our clients to determine how each particular matter fits into their overall business plans. Our services are tailored to be efficient, practical and creative. The ultimate goal is to reach an early resolution of the matter with the most cost-effective result. The business litigation attorneys represent individuals and businesses in the resolution of a broad range of disputes. We have experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in both state and federal courts. We also represent our clients in arbitrations, mediations and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
A mainstay of our practice is business litigation. We represent both local and national businesses — plaintiffs and defendants — in state and federal courts. We have a detailed history of success in litigation matters.
- Prevailed in a three and a half week breach of contract and nuisance jury trial and obtained a jury verdict consisting of $2 million in compensatory damages and $4 million in punitive damages. Successfully defended the judgment in three appeals and obtained 100% of the attorney’s fees sought in trial and post-trial proceedings, ultimately recovering over $9,900,000 after ten years of litigation. Goldstein v. Beck (L.A.S.C. BC261307 and SC085201.)
- Defended the largest provider of midway entertainment in North America in a lawsuit filed by the State of Michigan that sought a million dollars in damages against client. Countersued the State of Michigan and ultimately obtained a complete dismissal of the State’s case as well as monetary damages from the State and reinstatement of the client’s contractual rights, and also successfully moved to compel the deposition of the Governor of the State of Michigan, becoming one of the only attorneys in the history of the United States to obtain a court order commanding a sitting governor to be deposed. North American Midway Entertainment v. State of Michigan (Ingham County, Michigan, 09-138-MK).
- Served as lead counsel for one of the world’s largest food manufacturing companies which was sued in state court in Texas for trade secret misappropriation, interference with contract and related claims. Plaintiff requested more than $330 million in damages. After more than two weeks of trial, the jury awarded approximately $1 million, which was 10% of defendant’s pre-trial settlement offer. Americana Juice Imports, Inc. v. Nestle USA (Hidalgo County, Texas, C-2012-99-B1)
- Won arbitration involving shareholder dispute of closely held corporation by successfully petitioning to restore shareholder rights of an individual shareholder and secured multi-million dollar settlement for shareholder. Beck v. Mausner (L.A.S.C. LC089216)
- Defended a publicly traded company against alter ego and fraudulent conveyance claims brought in a breach of lease case and obtained a favorable settlement – less than 5% of the damages initially sought by the plaintiff, which was a lower amount than had been offered at the inception of litigation. Kilroy Realty, L.P. v. Newgen Results Corp. et. al. (S.D.S.C. 37-2008-00080164-CU-BC-CTL)
- Defended HMO organization against mid-six-figure claims by telecommunications carrier and obtained dismissal with prejudice for no payment of any monies by the client. AT&T Corp v. Watts Health Foundation (C.D. Cal. CV-02591-TJH–E)
- Represented anchor tenant in its claims against landlord of shopping center and City of Long Beach and Coastal Commission and obtained a high six figure monetary settlement and modification of parking scheme for Shoreline Village area in Long Beach and surrounding parking lots. Select Restaurant Co v. Northwestern (C.D. Cal. CV-00454-DT-E)